Peaches taste so wonderfully sweet and juicy that most of the time we eat them just as they are, before I have a chance to bake with them.
Then winter shows up for what seems like 6 months.
Enter the humble canned peach.
Did you know that most of the canned peaches here in Canada are actually California cling peaches? They’re picked and packed in their own juices, usually within 24 hours to ensure they retain their appearance, texture, flavour, and nutritional content.
Now, it would seem as though I’ve come to infiltrate your week with an excuse to make a batch of tender and flaky scones.
Can I persuade you with these doughy peach scones that are super tender and stuffed full of juicy peaches? I’m warning you though they might just quickly become your new favourite.
These scones are seriously some of the best. They may not be much healthier than your average scone but who ever said you can’t enjoy dessert with a cup of coffee or tea?
To make them you’ll need all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder + soda, salt, fresh 2% milk, lemon juice, cold butter, and of course juicy canned peaches!
For the glaze you’ll need 2 teaspoons of both milk and granulated sugar, and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
Those peaches add a nice boost of Vitamin C and A.
Dessert with benefits? Now were talking!
Let’s get flaky!
Tips and Tricks for Recipes Success:
1. The key to tender, flaky scones is cold butter!
2. You can use your hands to finish bringing the dough together after stirring in the wet ingredients.
3. Be sure to pat your canned peaches dry after dicing them or they will make your dough very soggy.
4. Empty the dough out onto a floured surface and flatten it out into a rectangular shape.
5. Lay your diced peaches on top of the dough then fold the dough over itself to contain the peaches, it’s almost like a filling, and press gently together around the edges.
6. Fold the dough in half once more lengthwise and flatten it out to about a 9-inch circle.
7. Add flour as you go. You don’t need much, but you just don’t want it sticking to the work surface.
Peach Scones makes 8-12 scones
1 cup (250ml) 2% milk
2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp fine sea salt
½ cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup canned peaches, diced
2 tsp 2% milk
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, add the 1 cup of milk and stir in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or the back of a fork until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Make a well in the center. Stir in the milk with a fork until a soft, sticky dough forms. If you wish you can finish combining the dough with your hands.
4. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and, with floured hands, gently flatten it down into a rectanglular shape. Lay your diced peaches on top of the dough then fold the dough over itself to contain the peaches, and press gently together around the edges. Gently, fold the dough in half once more lengthwise, adding more flour as you go to prevent sticking as necessary, until the peaches are dispersed. Flatten the dough out to a 9-inch circle; cut into 8 - 12 wedges.
5. Place on prepared baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart. Stir together 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon for the topping. Brush tops of scones with a little milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy with a pat of butter.
For one scone (based on 8): 285 calories, 12g of fat, 7g saturated fat, 37g of carbs, 1.5g fiber, 9g sugar, 246mg sodium, 5g of protein
Bonus Nutritional Benefits: Vitamin A 11%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 5%
Today’s post is sponsored by the California Cling Peach Board. Product opinions are always my own. If I didn’t love it, you wouldn’t be hearing about it. I truly appreciate your continued support!