Protein Pancakes

Mmmm Pancakes!

With ground almonds and protein powder.

Oh yes I did!

Protein Pancakes | ediblesoundbites.com

I'm a lover of all things pancake. These have become my go-to option for my favourite breakfast treat. Weekend or weekday. I like to whip up a batch and pack them for breakfasts during the week, because they reheat very well in the microwave. Who doesn't love warm pancakes on a weekday morning? If that's not motivation to get out bed when the alarm goes off, then what is?

I know it's been some time since my last post, but it's been for good reason. I've been working hard behind the scenes on a big blog update and moving everthing over to the new squarespace 7. It hasn't gone as smoothly as I'd hoped either. I've ran into some strange technical issues, but I have the very helpful people at squarespace working on it with me. Otherwise, between designing a new logo for the site, making sure my posts are all in order (tag + category wise), redesigning the site, updating my about page etc., it's been keeping me rather busy, but today I'm giving you pancakes.

Protein Pancakes | ediblesoundbites.com

For most of my meals, I tend to have a selection of different things to choose from that I put into steady rotation throughout the week. Although I do like a bit of unpredictability. Sometimes it's fun to have some meals and dinners that are off the cuff with whatever I have in house. Or if something pops into my mind that sounds really good instead of something that's I had planned. My lunches, breakfast, and snacks however are always planned. 90% of the time breakfast is oatmeal, eggs with some grapefruit, or greek yogurt + berries (or whatever is in season, like peaches). My meals are very predictable. The other 10% of the time is reserved for things like these protein pancakes. 

Protein Pancakes | ediblesoundbites.com

These pancakes are flourless. Instead they're made from a base of ground almond flour and an all natural sugar-free protein powder, Vege Pro 7 by North Coast Naturals. Although any protein powder you have should work, just be sure you enjoy the taste of it. Now these don't have a traditional pancake texture, instead they're more dense and satisfying, and very delicious. I also decided to use lucuma powder to sweeten them, and keep the recipe sugar-free. I'm really loving the lucuma powder, it's made from a Peruvian fruit and it's low glycemic.

Protein Pancakes | ediblesoundbites.com

No sugar here! Except for some maple syrup of course ;)

Just endless pancake love!

Protein Pancakes

Protein Pancakes | ediblesoundbites.com

by Jennifer Trennum

Keywords: breakfast dairy-free gluten-free grain-free protein sugar-free vegan option almond flour almond milk protein powder

 

Adapted from Tosca Reno's Protein Pancakes

Ingredients (Serves 3-4 (makes 9 pancakes))

  • 1.5 cups almond meal
  • 2 scoops protein powder (about 56 grams or 4 Tbsp) I used North Coast Naturals Vege Pro-7
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp lucuma powder
  • small pinch of sea salt
  • 4 eggs or vegan option (1/4 cup flaxseed meal mixed with 1/2 cup water + let rest 5 minutes to thicken)
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Instructions

Preheat electric griddle to medium heat, or a large skillet on the stove stop.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (almond meal through sea salt).

In a separate bowl whisk together eggs (or thickened flaxseed if using vegan option), almond milk, and vanilla.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined and batter is smooth. Be careful not to over-blend. If you are using the flax egg method let the batter rest for about 5 minutes before cooking.

Using a 1/4 cup measure, pour 1/4 cup of the pancake batter onto the griddle for each pancake. You should end up with 9 pancakes. Flip when bubbles appear in the middle and around the edges. Cook for 1-2 minutes more on the other side. Remove from griddle and place on a plate to keep warm in the oven until all pancakes are cooked.

Top with fresh berries and maple syrup.

These will reheat very well the next day in the microwave.

Powered by Recipage