Peanut Butter, almond butter, hazelnut butter, cashew butter...I love them all and wish I could use them as toothpaste!
If you have a serious cookie craving then you have come to the right place. These peanut butter cookies are now one of my new favourites. They have a bit of a twist on the classic peanut butter cookie.
I decided to make them gluten-free, so for the flour I used my all purpose gluten-free blend, which I had leftover from last week's Blueberry-Peach Cobbler. If you don't have any problems with gluten and you want to, you can substitute plain old everyday all purpose flour with the exact same measurements I give for the gluten-free flour. However, these cookies turned out amazing using the gluten-free all purpose flour mix. In fact if you gave these cookies to your friends and family and then told them that they were gluten-free they probably wouldn't believe you. That's how much faith I have in this flour mix.
These are lightly spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. The butter is cut back because of the addition of peanut butter. They're similar in taste to a ginger cookie with the molasses and warm spices.
They are a very thin cookie but don't let that fool you. They're soft and chewy on the inside. And the little bit of chocolate brings it all together.
This is my new addiction!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies gluten free (yields 1 dozen)
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1/3 cup light peanut butter
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 ounces chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flours, baking soda, 1 tsp cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Set aside. Combine granulated sugar and remaining 1 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, beat together brown sugar, peanut butter and butter on medium speed of electric mixer for about 1 minute. Add molasses, egg, and vanilla. Beat again until smooth.
- Working a little bit at a time, stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture until all the flour mix is incorporated. Stir in chocolate chunks. The dough will be stiff. Using your hands, shape dough into 2 inch balls. Roll balls in reserved cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart (6 per sheet is best). Flatten cookies slightly using a fork.
- Bake for 7 minutes. They may appear undercooked, but that’s okay. Remove cookies from oven and immediately transfer from pan to a wire rack to cool.