Ah, there's nothing like comfort food at it's finest on a gloomy day.
Baked ziti is just one of those things that becomes an instant family favourite. It can pick you up and lift your spirits on a cold wintery day.
A steaming dish of golden cheesy tomato baked pasta heaven.
Mmm, melty cheese!
Do I have your attention?
It might shock you to learn that this comforting pasta dish is actually quite good for you. Here's a secret, ever play hide the vegetables? If you have kids, you know what I mean. It has 2 cups of shredded carrots, 1 whole onion, basil, and is bursting with tomatoes + homemade marinara sauce. Even the pickiest eaters in your family couldn't say no. Sure it looks and tastes like a traditional baked ziti that's packed with unhealthy fat and salt (not to mention heavy cream) but it's one of the cleanest pasta dishes you'll ever make.
The perfect crowd pleaser. Great for entertaining large groups.
Easy to throw together in 20 minutes. Then you get to sit back and relax while it cooks.
Baked Ziti (Gluten Free) (makes 9 - 1 cup servings)
(Slightly adapted fromThe Eat Clean Diet For Family & Kids)
- 1lb extra lean ground turkey
- 2 Cups shredded carrots
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced fine
- 3 cloves of garlic, passed through a garlic press
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Cups homemade Marinara Sauce (or 1 can of no-salt added tomatoes)
- 1 Cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 8 oz gluten free rotini
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 Cup - 3/4 Cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and cook turkey, carrots, onions, and garlic until nicely browned. Add chicken stock, marinara sauce, pasta, and basil.
- Reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Pasta should be cooked al dente.
- Turn pasta mix into baking dish. Sprinkle top with shredded mozzarella.
- Place in oven and baked for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
This also makes great leftovers for easy lunches packed with nutrition and energy.