It's grilling season and nothing says summer like a good burger.
Even vegetarians love a good bean or veggie burger right?
Now no one in their right mind, including myself, want's to turn their oven on in this hot weather. So I got my grill on this past Saturday with the pending heat wave, and all I have to say is this...turkey burgers are the BOMB!!
Or should I say boom? Let me tell you about the fun we had trying to get our BBQ going on the weekend. We've had this one for a while now and I think it's soon to be on its last leg. The ignition button that you push to fire it up has officially stopped working. So, we've had to resort to igniting the thing by dropping matches over the grill at an arms length while being ready to jump back before the flame catches. Talk about living on the edge!
...You know it's time to buy a new BBQ when.
It's probably not a good thing to be throwing lit matches at it, but it works for now until we can get a new one.
Anyway, back to the burgers. Ground turkey is a great alternative to the traditional beef burger. This one is so tender and well seasoned you'll have a hard time believing how healthy it really is for you. The turkey is low in sodium and saturated fats, and is a good source of protein.
Smokey Turkey Burgers (serves 4)
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt and pepper
- Diana's Smokehouse BBQ sauce for brushing
- Whole grain kaiser buns
- In a medium bowl, with a fork, combine turkey, garlic powder, smoked paprika, sea salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into four burger patties being careful not to overwork the meat.
- Grill them for 4-7 minutes per side until thoroughly cooked. After flipping the first side brush on some BBQ sauce. When the second side is done, flip and brush some BBQ sauce on the first side.
You can top these beauties anyway you like. I topped mine with some classic mustard and relish, sliced tomato from the market, caramelized onions, and a dill pickle. Gotta have that pickle in there!
These burgers are a officially a family favourite in my house and they are the best turkey burgers I've ever tried.
Hopefully the next time I decide to grill I won't blow up!
What are some of your favourite burger toppings?