Are you getting sick of pumpkin yet?
I've got a veggie soup that will fix that. Starring the lovely whole grain kamut in the form of orzo pasta.
Heads up! We're going savory today.
With the influx of fall and colder weather all I would like to do is hunker down and eat hot soup.
Like this one.
It's seriously becoming one of my favourite soups. Whenever I make it I'm always sure to make enough for lunch leftovers the next day. I have never tried orzo before until I made this. It's shape is similar to rice but it's texture is very tender and soft.
The parmesan cheese may seem like a strange addition to vegetable soup, but believe me it's a match made in heaven. The older the parmesan cheese, the better. It will have less fat and even more flavour. It's also high in calcium. But whatever you do don't buy that pre-grated stuff. It's just not fresh.
I highly recommend you get a really nice rye or pumpernickel loaf of bread to go with this on the side. Perfect for swiping the bowl with!
Vegetable Chicken Soup with Orzo (serves 4-6) adapted from Chicken & Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, cut into halves
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 whole sprigs of thyme
- 1 (14 oz) can no-salt added tomatoes
- 4 cups of no-salt added, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry (uncooked) kamut orzo
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup grilled chicken, shredded
- Grated Parmesan cheese for topping (about a tablespoon per bowl)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat heat the olive oil. Swirl to coat the pan.
- Add onion, carrot, brussels sprouts, garlic, black pepper and sea salt. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring every so often until the onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a low rolling boil. Then add the orzo and green beans; cook 3-5 minutes more. Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Taste and add more salt/pepper if needed.
- Serve hot and top with grated parmesan cheese.