Okay let's get something straight, I'm a little obsessed with oatmeal... and nut butters. I mean what better way is there to start your day than with a big bowl of oats. Especially when there are so many ways to liven them up. As for nut butter it's got to be one of my favourite ways to get healthy fats. I think I must have something like 6 different kinds of natural peanut and/or almond butter right now. Yep, definitely obsessed.
Now this bowl was one awesome breakfast that was healthy, hearty and anything but boring.
I have tried many different combinations of what I mix in my oats, the actual cooking method, types of oats I use and so on. My current favourite oat combination right now though is simply 1/2 cup of rolled oats with 1/4 tsp cinnamon (loads of health benefits there and its my favourite spice too). That's it! Sometimes I also like to add some Sun Warrior vegan protein mixed in at the end, but if I don't, then I might add a small splash of milk. I always like to combine protein with complex carbohydrates so I stay satiated longer and keep my blood sugar stabilized. No matter what combination I do though it always powers me through my workout and makes me feel great.
Cinnamon Apricot Oats (serves 1)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon (plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp freshly ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 3 chopped dried apricots
- 1 heaping tbsp natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp raisin almond crunch love grown foods granola
- Boil water.
- Stir in rolled oats and cinnamon + reduce heat to simmer for 5-8 minutes (the longer you cook the thicker your oats will be).
- Take it off the heat and let sit covered for a few minutes.
- Stir in flax seed and protein powder.
- Top with apricots, peanut butter, granola and more cinnamon.
Now that's fuel to set fire to your metabolism! Look at that peanut butter blob! I love when it starts to melt all over the piping hot oats and gets all drippy.
Off to rest my sore legs and butt from all those evil dumbbell squats and leg presses.